Monday 30 December 2013

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION


NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION

 

I don’t know if you’re like me, but about this time every year I look forward with optimism to the start of a new and better year. A year where everything turns out the way I want it to; no traumas or dramas; just a bed of roses. Invariably, by the time I reach the end of the year I’m underwhelmed by what has unfolded.

   Then again, what makes me think I should be immune to the vicissitudes of life’s journey? Why should I expect each year to be without road bumps, setbacks and challenges? What entitles me to an armchair ride?  

   The past few days I’ve been thinking maybe I need to play a more active part in smoothing the path along the way, or at least put into place something to mitigate the damage should the wheels fall off.

   How?

   By doing more to make the world a better place. After all, doesn’t the universal law of reciprocity apply?

   The law of reciprocity in plain-speak means – “What you give out, you get back.” Buddhists call it “Karma”; if you’re a Christian you might say, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, or “As you sow so shall you reap.” If you have some other spiritual inclination, you might express this law as “As you give, you receive.”  

   It seems to me if I, through conscious awareness, can set aside my self-centredness and put other peoples’ interests ahead of my own whenever I can, at the very least I should feel good after going out of my way to be kind to or help others. A huge added bonus would be, according to the law of reciprocity, my acts of kindness to others will bring acts of kindness back to me in some form. Surely that approach would impact favourably on how 2014 pans out?  

   Conversely, if I can minimize my unkind and mean acts, by resisting the temptation to judge and attack others, or to try to gain at someone else’s expense, surely I’ll avoid all the bad stuff that inevitably would come back to me?

   Could this be the way to ensure 2014 is a better year than 2013? I’m willing to give it a try.

   So this is my New Year’s resolution.

I wish you all the best for the year ahead.

 

djdelene.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment