Friday 6 February 2015

A WRITER'S GOTTA WRITE REVISITED


A WRITER’S GOTTA WRITE - Revisited

In an earlier post written 18 months ago, I shared that I had always wanted to be a writer ever since I was about the age of ten. That was my dream.

   I also shared my belief that all of us have an inherent awareness or understanding of what we want to do in our lives from an early age but, like me, very few have the self-belief and courage to follow their dreams and we find ourselves unfulfilled and dissatisfied – square pegs in round holes.

   As for me, circumstances intervened and I made a succession of decisions and choices that led me away from what I believe I was meant to do. I have no doubt this played a part in my bumpy ride through life’s journey. A journey that had its fair share of struggles, disappointments and pain, not only for me, but also, regrettably, for others who were impacted by my attitude and behaviour.

   I think we all have an inherent knowing, when we’re young, of what our strengths, aptitude and abilities are – even if these abilities are not apparent or obvious, or have yet to surface or be developed. Somehow we’re instinctively attracted to a career, a profession, a calling or a way of life that draws our minds like a magnet in its direction.

   If my hypothesis is correct and all of us had insights into what we wanted to be, and were best suited to be, when we were young – why is this so?

   I’ve thought about this a lot since taking up writing in my 50s, over 15 years ago

   When I first started laboriously writing my first story, I was astonished how much pleasure and satisfaction I got out of the writing experience. For the first time I was writing for me – not assignments for school or university; not dreary reports for work, including job descriptions or company policies and procedures.

   Such freedom!

   I don’t write to a plan, or a formula. I tend to write spontaneously and many times I’m amazed by what I write, whether it is unexpected characterisations, or how the storyline sometimes shoots off on a tangent away from where I thought it was inevitably headed. I’m often truly astonished by the depth of wisdom that appears in words on the screen in front of me. Did I write that? Where on earth did it come from?

   However, these things pale into insignificance compared with the satisfaction and joy of just writing. So, writing makes me happy. Even when I’m in the grip of black dog days, writing can bring me out of my dark despair and crippling anxieties. Writing is my therapy.

   But, as the person flogging the ‘nicer dicer’ on TV would say – “That’s not all, folks, there’s even more!”

   Writing has brought purpose and direction into my life. It has enriched my life’s experiences. Writing, I would like to think, has been a positive influence on my attitude. And as my attitude has become more positive, I would also like to think that I have become a kinder and better person and less egocentric.

   So, better late than never, I’ve at last rediscovered my true passion in life and with it comes a strong sense of purpose and direction which, hitherto, was missing.

   I’m not suggesting for one moment that following our special function in life is the only key to happiness or provides all the answers to life’s challenges. However, from my experience, it’s certainly a step in the right direction.

   I’ve found, if we follow our dreams, we become round pegs in round holes. Life becomes more meaningful and fulfilling. In my case, it has helped m cope better with the inevitable vicissitudes of life. and enhanced my personal and spiritual growth.

    My life has taken some unexpected and unwanted twists and turns since writing my original blog. The downside was losing my job and all the subsequent financial stresses that have plagued me ever since.

   The upside has been more time to write, although there have been times when I was frozen by fear and uncertainty about what the future held and my writing ground to a halt

  I have completed two more books since then. One of them revolves around the theme of this posting. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT, Finding Purpose, Fulfillment & Direction (an E-Book on Amazon). It follows the fictional life of Luke Messina, legendary NFL footballer and football coach, who had the courage to follow his dreams.

   I am still up to my ears in crocodiles financially, however, my writing brings me solace and comfort because I am doing what I love to do.

   It is never too late to follow our dreams.

djdelene.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment